Thursday, July 23, 2009

This isn't about me. I have great health insurance.



My favourite line:

I've heard that one Republican strategist told his party that, even though they may want to compromise, it's better politics to "go for the kill". Another Republican senator said that defeating healthcare reform was about breaking me. So, let me be clear. This isn't about me. I have great health insurance. And so does every member of Congress.
The Republicans know that if Obama succeeds in passing health care reform that they are buggered. All of their arguments regarding self sufficiency will wither in the wind if the American populace ever get to enjoy universal health care. Because, as every other country in the world shows, once they have it they will never willingly give it up.

To that end the Republicans will fight tooth and nail to try to defeat Obama on this one. Not because of any of the reasons they claim, but because universal health care undermines their entire notion that you pay your own way and have no responsibility towards anyone else in society.

No comments: