Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Gaffney Is Ludicrous.

It's hard watching Frank Gaffney engaging in this kind of fear-mongering and not conclude that the objections to the Park 51 mosque are simple Islamophobia.

Here, Gaffney argues that a mosque in Murfreesboro, TN, is attempting to introduce Sharia law on the whole of the United States.

It's the stupidest argument I have ever heard. As is pointed out to Gaffney here, the Muslim population of the US is only 2%. How can 2% of the population - even assuming that they desire Sharia law, which they don't - force their views, in a democracy, over the views of the other 98%? Especially as even country's like Pakistan, with a 98% Muslim population, don't have Sharia law.

It's hard to believe that Gaffney actually means what he is saying, which can only lead one to conclude that he is simply fear-mongering. Does anyone seriously believe that a mosque in Murfreesboro, TN, represents, as Gaffney ludicrously states, a desire "to destroy western civilisation from within"?

No comments: