Friday, May 14, 2010

Brown to remain as backbench MP.

Gordon Brown has vowed to continue as the MP for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath.

"I wanted to be clear, I want to be doing what is my first love in politics and that is to serve the people of Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath and all the communities in this area, and to continue to do that with your support over the next few years.

"In case anybody was in any doubt because of the announcements that were made this week, I am wanting to do everything I can to work for people here, for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath, as your Member of Parliament, and I will do that to the best of my ability for these next few months and years."

His remarks were greeted with applause by about 200 students and staff who had gathered to listen to him.

It must be so hard for someone who has worked in politics their entire life to even realise that there is a world beyond that chamber. It's an honourable sentiment, but I feel quite sure that sitting on the backbenches, especially having once tasted the power of Number Ten, will not satisfy Gordon for very long.

He hinted during the campaign that he might be tempted to work in the field of charity, and I am sure it won't be too long before someone takes him up on that offer.

One thing is certain, Brown is not destined to spend the rest of his life sitting on the backbenches of the Commons watching Cameron doing his job.

Click here for full article.

No comments: