Friday, February 05, 2010

Obama urges civility: 'Surely, you can question my policies without questioning my faith -- or for that matter, my citizenship'.



It's becoming a theme of Obama's presidency; civility.

That there is another way for politics to be conducted.

Obama: Civility also requires relearning how to disagree without being disagreeable -- understanding, as President [Kennedy] said, 'Civility is not a sign of weakness.' Now I am the first to confess I am not always right. Michelle will testify to that. But surely, you can question my policies without questioning my faith. Or for that matter, my citizenship.
He is, of course, right. And it's interesting that, even at the venue at which he chose to appear, the National Prayer Breakfast, the audience warmly applauded him when said there was no need to question his citizenship.

The National Prayer Breakfast is "organized by the fundamentalist religious organization and prominent D.C. institution, the Fellowship Foundation (a.k.a The Family)", so it's about as right wing as you can get. And yet even they can see how insane some of tea party members charges against Obama's presidency actually are.

No comments: