Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Pat Buchanan's Torture American Style: Withhold meds from would-be Flight 253 bomber.



What is it about torture that gets so many right wingers excited?

Here Pat Buchanan argues that Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab's medication should be withheld.

Buchanan: ...frankly if that means you have to deny him pain medication because he's badly burned, I think you go ahead and do that. I'm not arguing for torture, but I am...

Spencer: You just did.

Buchanan: Nobody is, but I am arguing for hostile interrogations of this fellow, because our job is to protect American lives. It's not to make sure his Miranda rights haven't been violated.

Spencer: So you're arguing for torture but with a different euphemism for it?

It strikes me as extraordinary that, since the days of the Bush administration, right wing Americans now routinely argue for things which their nation has traditionally condemned.

They have somehow managed to equate torture with patriotism. I feel sure that future Republicans will look back on this period of their party's history with deep shame.

They have lost all sense of morality.

No comments: