Thursday, October 09, 2008

McCain's dilemma.


"We're witnessing tonight something quite profound and that was the sinking ship of free-market Republicans keel over, groan, and fall to the bottom of the sea. John McCain, without much notice, proposed a $300 billion dollar plan to nationalize home mortgages. [...] This is on top of the $700 billion dollars already passed by Congress. And this is before he went on to attack Barack Obama on obscene spending. and government control of health care. I thought it was an amazing moment."
This is McCain's problem. And it's why I think we are witnessing the death of Republicanism. Every time McCain tries to appeal to the independents, or to the middle ground, the reaction from his base is earth shattering.

Malkin:
I can’t underscore enough what a rotten idea John McCain’s ACORN-like government mortgage buy-up is. I said it during my liveblog. And I’ll say it again: “HE WANTS TO EXPAND THE BAILOUT. He wants to do what ACORN wants to do. We’re Screwed ‘08.”
He has no room to maneuver. Every time he tries to please anyone outside of the base, the base deserts him. It's their way or the highway.

I've said it before, but the lunatics have taken over the asylum in that party. Malkin and Coulter have become their natural representatives. The far right have become their centre.

And because of that, I agree with Malkin's summary: They're screwed.

No comments: