Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Potentially Habitable Earth-Like Planet Found

For the first time astronomers have discovered a planet outside our solar system that is potentially habitable, with Earth-like temperatures, a find researchers described Tuesday as a big step in the search for "life in the universe."

The planet is just the right size, might have water in liquid form, and in galactic terms is relatively nearby at 120 trillion miles away. But the star it closely orbits, known as a "red dwarf," is much smaller, dimmer and cooler than our sun.

There's still a lot that is unknown about the new planet, which could be deemed inhospitable to life once more is known about it. And it's worth noting that scientists' requirements for habitability count Mars in that category: a size relatively similar to Earth's with temperatures that would permit liquid water. However, this is the first outside our solar system that meets those standards.

"It's a significant step on the way to finding possible life in the universe," said University of Geneva astronomer Michel Mayor, one of 11 European scientists on the team that found the planet. "It's a nice discovery. We still have a lot of questions."
What will the creationists make of this?



5 comments:

United We Lay said...

I didn't even think of the creationists when I read about this. I'll have to incorporate that angle if I post about it. Score one for the thinking man.

Kel said...

If their logic is that all forms of life were created according to the way it is described in one book, it would rather throw a spanner in the works if life existed elsewhere.

AF said...

As someone who believes that God created everything, I think it's awesome, exciting news, and it has absolutely no effect on my faith or my understanding of science.

I'm a bit busy right now but when I get some time I will elaborate respond on my blog!

Kel said...

Alex,

I know you are a religious person, however, I've never thought of you as a person who advocates creationism. I'll look out for your post on this!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure how creationism and the possibility of life outside our planet are mutually exclusive. I guess it could depend no what branch of Christianity you belong to, but the Catholics for example do not find evolution contrary to their interpretation of the Bible so I don't see where this would be a problem either.