Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Iranians release British sailors

I'll have more to say about this in the morning. I just wanted to get the news out as it breaks:

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced at a news conference in Tehran that the 15 British sailors and marines would be freed as a "gift to the British people". The following is a partial transcript from the news conference.

"On the occasion of the birth anniversary of the great prophet of Islam, and on the occasion of Easter and Passover, I would like to announce that the great nation of Iran, while it is entitled to put the British military personnel on trial, has pardoned these 15 sailors and gives their release to the people of Britain as a gift.


"I would like Mr Blair's government not to punish the sailors for acknowledging and telling the truth.
"After this meeting they are free. They can go to the airport and they can go to their families. "

I ask Mr Blair instead of occupying the other countries, I ask Mr Blair to think about the justice - to think about the truth and work for the British people not for himself."


He said the British people should be told the truth about what the "British soldiers" were doing in Iranian waters.


"Unfortunately, the British government not even was brave to tell their people - to tell them the truth - and tell them that [there] was a mistake.

I'm sure the British people have every right to ask their government... what their soldiers were doing in Iraq or in Iranian water. I leave it to the British people to decide."
Click title for full article.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those Iranians are sure some swell guys!

Kel said...

Well, they certainly treat prisoners humanely. And I've always thought it a very good indication of how humane any society is by the way they treat their prisoners.

How the waterboarding coming along? I hope the water's not too cold for your little fingers...