Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Senate Rejects Flag Desecration Amendment

Firefighters across America face a tense night as the Republican attempt to amend the Constitution and ban flag burning has failed by a single vote.

President Bush, the man with his finger on the pulse who identified this previously unknown American habit, will no doubt spend tonight in The White House wearing an asbestos suit.

Indeed, by highlighting the issue he may have unwittingly encouraged people who did not realise, prior to this vote, that they were allowed to burn the flag.

I expect by teatime most of the USA will look like Atlanta in "Gone With The Wind", as anxious flag burners waste no time before lighting up. It will be like Towering Inferno on every American Main Street.

The nobility of those defending this barbaric practice were best summed up by Majority Leader Bill Frist who said, "Countless men and women have died defending that flag, it is but a small humble act for us to defend it."

I had always thought they had died defending the country rather than the flag, but that might simply be my goofy British lack of understanding. After all, the flag can't even say thanks, it just sort of flaps around. Some days it doesn't even do that.

Now in order to express my solidarity with my American cousins I have noticed a similar loophole in the British legal system whereby this nation of supposed animal lovers have no law forbidding the consumption of domestic pets.

Off to eat the budgie.

Viva la revolution!


Click title for full article.

Tags: , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Ingrid said...

Kel, now that's funny! What is that disgusting sounding thing that has sheeps organs in them (sorry)? Anyhow..as for the 'cult of the flag'..(as I call it), I don't understand it either. Some people get really hyped over the fact something is not done right (like flying the flag the wrong way). My sister in law (brother in law used to be naval commander of a nuclear submarine, they're kinda hard core and would NOT watch the Daily Show..that was an uncomfortable moment when they were visiting, I digress..hehe) ANYWay..my SIL got all ticked off as she was driving by this place (where Joe Schmo makes probably minimum wage) and saw the flag was not the right way. She got in this whole schpiel with this guy about how people died for that blablabla.. she's telling me this over the phone expecting me to agree and I honest to goodness was stunned by the stupidity so I didn't say anything..she all of the sudden remembered I'm not American and probably couldn't care less so she stopped talking about it...whoa.those 4H types!!
Well, I think burning the flag out of protest as foreigners might do towards another country is something I can sort of understand. But..if you go and burn your own flag in protest, I think it's kinda stupid. You could be doing a whole lot better things in protest to achieve better results without shutting off the people who wouldn't want to listen to you anymore..
Ingrid

Unknown said...

Funny stuff, Kel. Hey, I say if burning the flag makes someone feel better, they should go for it. I wouldn't recommend doing it in public though. The government can't stop you from doing it, but the crazy Americans can and will. They're all nuts. Oops, I'm one of them. Well, no I'm not. Yes I am. No I'm not.

The thing is, I live here, I was born here, but I've got mixed feelings. America has become a religion, and our soldiers are like one big collective Jesus, dying so that we can sin against humanity and feel good about it. Here's a great article called "America is a Religion." Enjoy.

Kel said...

Ingrid,

Do you mean haggis? I've tried that and it's actually delicious.

As for flag burning, I think it's silly to make a law against it as so very few Americans ever partake in such an act. It's Bush trying to please his base again before November.

Musclemouth,

Thanks for the Monbiot article. I love his stuff.

And I am wary of anyone who thinks that God is directing their actions whether their name is Bush or bin Laden.