Friday, March 17, 2006

The Bush brothers kick Katherine Harris to the curb.


I'm sure most people in the UK have completely forgotten Katherine Harris' role in ensuring that Bush stole the 2000 election. She was the lady who disenfranchised 57,700 of Florida's voters and removed them illegally from the registry, helping to ensure Bush took Florida and hence, the Presidency.

What's really astonishing is that the Bush brothers have turned on her as she makes a bid to join the senate. And she has vowed to use the $10 million her late father left her in his will (only Republicans have late fathers who can do such things!) to to take on Karl Rove and the White House thugs.

Despite the pressure from on high, Harris doesn't seem inclined to play the good soldier this time. "We're absolutely in the race," Adam Goodman, her political consultant, told me. Harris is a powerful fund-raiser, and she will be tough to beat in a primary, whatever Jeb Bush and the White House do.
I know it's not the biggest story in the world, but I find myself strangely intrigued by this. It's like driving past the scene of a car crash. I know I should look away, but I can't.

No comments: